I Was in a Car Accident. Should I File a Report?

Around 20–50 million people are injured in car accidents every year. Some statistics show the average American will file an insurance claim every 17 years or so. With these facts in mind, if you’ve never been involved in a car accident, you may wonder whether it’s mandatory, or optional and merely advisable, to file a report with the police.

What Does the Law Require?

In Texas, you are not obliged to call the police in the event of an accident. However, if you do not file a report with the police, you are required to file Form CR-2, a crash-report form, with the DMV if damage exceeds $1,000 or if someone involved was injured or killed.

Why Should I Call the Police?

If you call the police after an accident, not only do they file a report of the accident for you, but they also expedite the exchange of information process. If the other driver is belligerent about proving his or her information, the police officer can intervene and retrieve information for you. Calling in police presence also provides evidence from a third party. If you end up going to court, police evidence is unbiased. The report can also be used to file a claim with your insurance company. If you report your injuries to the police officer, he or she will include that detail in the report, making it easier for you to prove your injuries to your insurance provider. The police report will contain the following information:

  • Location of accident
  • Date and time of accident
  • Any damage to cars
  • Injuries sustained by drivers and/or witnesses
  • Statements from drivers and/or witnesses

While it may take a little more time to wait for the police officer and answer his or her questions for the report, the extra time will be worth it later if you need to file a claim or go to court for compensation. If you were involved in an accident and require representation, make sure you have an experienced attorney to represent you. Call one of our Houston car accident attorneys at (281) 975-0031 or fill out our online form for a free case consultation.

Want to learn more tips about what to do after a car accident? Read the below posts!

Get Help From Our Experienced Attorneys
Looking For Legal Assistance?

    How to Reach Us
    2530 Green Oak Drive
    Suite A Kingwood , TX 77339
    Get Directions
    (281) 361-3191