The decision to pursue post-secondary education is exciting, and we understand that the decision to attend school is more difficult for some. Not everyone has parents or siblings who’ve attended college to help guide them. Being the first in a household/family to attend college may come with a lot of pressure. The pressure to attend a certain school and to pursue a particular major. It also comes with high expectations and questions about how to pay for the education. With a lack of money and resources, individuals are less likely to pursue a degree.
This is why personal injury attorney Davis Haines has decided to offer A Step Forward Scholarship. This scholarship awarded $1,000 to a student who is the first in their family to attend college to help them pursue their educational goals. It is our hope that this scholarship eased some of the monetary burdens that come with attending school.
Applicants were asked to explain why continuing education is important to them and the accomplishments they hope to achieve. Also, the impact a degree will have on them and their family.
- Applicants must have be enrolled in an accredited community college, undergraduate, or graduate program within the United States
- All eligible candidates must have been in good academic standing, maintaining a cumulative average grade of a 3.0 GPA.
- Scholarship candidates must be the first member of their family to attend college
- A resume that includes academic, professional, and volunteer experience
- A transcript from their current school.
- A 750-1,000 word statement describing educational goals and what it means to be the first in their family to attend a college-level institute.
Application Deadline and Instructions:
The deadline for this scholarship opportunity was November 30, 2020.
Thank you to all who applied to our scholarship!