What to Do After Being in a Car Wreck
- Check on everyone: The very first thing you need to do is see if everyone is okay. When it is safe to do so, exit your vehicle and check on everyone. If your vehicle is stuck in a lane, you should step well away from the road to avoid being struck by moving traffic.
- Call for help: Get emergency responders to the scene if anyone is hurt or if there is debris from your vehicles in the road. If you aren’t sure, err on the side of caution and call for help regardless. Any records of the scene the police file can also be used as evidence for your claim.
- Exchange information: Insurance and identifying information need to be exchanged with everyone involved in the accident before anyone leaves. Failing to do so and then leaving the scene will constitute the crime of committing a hit-and-run. Don’t forget to write down license plate numbers, too, which is something many people actually overlook.
- Take pictures: The more photographs, the better when it comes to snapping pictures around your car accident site. Get multiple angles of the same damage, as well as shots that establish the environment at the time, which will be pertinent if poor weather is one of the causes of your car wreck.
- See a doctor: In case you feel fine after being in a damaging car wreck, make certain you are by visiting your doctor. You could have underlying injuries you would not have known about until they became seriously problematic days or weeks later. You will also benefit greatly from having a medical record to use in your case later.
In addition to following these five aforementioned steps, remember that throughout the process – both immediately after the car wreck and days or weeks later – you should never apologize. Your good manners might tempt you to say you are sorry but you must bite your tongue this one time. Any sort of apology will be distorted by insurance companies to look like an admissions of guilt, putting liability onto your shoulders.
To prepare your claim, protect yourself against insurance adjusters, and otherwise make everything easier for you, contact our Houston car wreck attorneys from Haines Law, P.C. We can help you with every step along the way, from reporting your crash to your insurance company to negotiating a settlement to preparing for court if the liable party will not sway.