Our firm has obtained countless successful settlements on behalf of injured clients. If you or a loved one have suffered a burn injury because of someone else’s negligence, you have the right to pursue justice with the help of our skilled catastrophic injury attorneys. Our Pasadena burn injury lawyers will investigate the incident to gather evidence, help you file the correct documents, and diligently uphold your right to compensation.
What Are Some Common Sources of Severe Burns in Pasadena?
There are many circumstances that could result in burn injuries, including extreme heat, exposure to electricity, and exposure to caustic chemicals. In some types of accidents, all three sources may be present at once. For example, someone involved in a serious car accident could be exposed to extremely hot fire, electrical shortages in the dashboard, and hot fumes from the various chemicals a car needs to operate.
Other types of accidents that commonly result in burns include exposure to faulty electrical wiring, industrial accidents, and defective consumer products. No matter what specifically caused your burn injury, qualified legal counsel can help you take legal action against liable parties.
Classifications of Burn Injuries
Burn injuries fall under four broad classifications that a Pasadena attorney will take into account:
- First-degree burns affect the top layer of skin, known as the epidermis, and often cause red and slightly swollen skin but generally heal on their own without medical treatment.
- Second-degree burns are more severe than first-degree burns, affecting both the outer layer of skin and the second layer of skin, known as the dermis. The affected area may appear red and swollen, and scarring from blisters may occur.
- Third-degree burns affect both layers of skin as well as the layer of fat beneath the skin, known as adipose tissue. The affected area may appear leathery or waxy, and the skin may be white or tan. Immediate medical treatment is necessary to heal these burn injuries. Permanent scarring and nerve damage may occur.
- Fourth-degree burns are the most severe, affecting the epidermis, dermis, adipose tissue, and even the muscles and bones. The affected area may appear completely blackened or charred, and the victim may feel no pain due to nerve damage.
Holding Another Party Liable for a Burn
Like other personal injury lawsuits, civil cases involving burn accidents typically revolve around the legal theory of negligence. In order to hold a defendant liable for negligently causing your or your loved one’s burns, you must satisfy all the following criteria through a preponderance of evidence:
- A duty of care existed between you and the defendant
- The defendant violated their duty of care in some way
- The defendant’s breach of duty proximately caused the accident
- The accident caused burn injuries that resulted in compensable damages
The specific duty of care owed to an individual plaintiff will vary significantly depending on their circumstances. For this reason, it’s advisable to connect with one of our qualified Pasadena burn injury attorneys for help with collecting evidence of negligence and pursuing appropriate restitution in your case.
What Financial Relief is Available for Burn Injuries?
Burn injuries, particularly third- and fourth-degree burns, could result in severe damage to nerves, muscles, ligaments, tendons, bones, and skin. Victims may be unable to maintain gainful employment and may have a decreased quality of life due to the lasting effects of their condition.
If you or a loved one have suffered a severe burn as a result of someone else’s actions, it is important to file a claim as soon as possible. You may be able to receive a settlement for medical bills, loss of earning potential, emotional distress, pain and suffering, long-term disability, lost wages, and other damages. Our local lawyers will aggressively uphold your right to recover any damages related to a burn injury.
What’s the Benefit of Settlement vs Court Trials?
In most cases, negotiating a private settlement out of court is the best way to ensure that all injuries and losses related to a burn injury are covered. We can build a strong case to show the opposing party that going to trial would be futile to ensure your chances of success early on in your case.
You can rely on our steadfast negotiation strategies and experience in winning maximum settlements on behalf of our clients. If private negotiations are not productive and the defendant is unwilling to agree on an appropriate settlement amount, our Pasadena lawyers also possess the skill necessary to bring a successful civil lawsuit.
Seek Help from a Pasadena Burn Injury Attorney
At our firm, our Pasadena burn injury lawyers are committed to meeting the individual legal needs of our clients. Whether your burn injury was caused by a car accident, workplace mishap, or other incident, we will walk you through the legal process. With our attorneys on your side, you can receive attentive representation as you seek justice from responsible parties.